Saturday, September 1, 2012

First Week Jitters

Last week was the first week back to work with the kiddos, and what a week it was. Every night I went home completely exhausted. I did not realize how tired I would be, and I haven't even begun pulling kids yet. I spent most of last week helping other teachers and getting to know the kiddos that I will be working with. It has truly been a humbling week. Seeing so many kids with learning disabilities and other disabilities has truly made me grateful for all that I have. The work ethic of some of these kiddos is inspiring. They try so hard day in and day out despite their short-comings. I am super excited to start pulling kids and to begin working with them. It is quite the hectic, non-stop schedule that I will have. April and I spent a lot of time trying to figure out a schedule to make sure all of our kiddos got their required minutes.When we finished the schedule, we realized that we barely had time for a lunch in our schedules. Busy is good though. Busy means lots of kiddos will be getting the help that they need.
On the non-work side of life, I have been quite emotional this past week. I cannot believe that just a year ago I was on a cruise ship in the middle of the Caribbean. Just one year ago I was checking my email and calling home as much as possible to see how dad was doing. Just one year ago I still had the most important man in my life. Just one year ago I was able to hear his voice. I cannot believe that in a few weeks it will have been a year since dad has passed. The past year has been filled with many ups and many downs, some of which I still do not understand. I know that the ache in my heart will never go away or be healed. I am learning slowly how to cope with that pain in my daily life and not let it affect all other aspects of my life. Some days are easier than other, but knowing that dad is always in my heart and his teaching are embedded in my thoughts is definitely comforting.

No comments:

Post a Comment